Throughout the world and throughout time, people and cultures have both revered and feared this eight-limbed, legendary Cephalopod - the octopus. We’ll look at the mythology and folklore of the octopus, their physiology and behaviour; which all strengthen their reputation as symbols of strength, intelligence and mystery. We’ll look at artworks by Japanese master Hokusai, resin artist Keng Lye, potter Tammy Garcia and illustrator Esther Van Hulsen. Plus I make takoyaki - round octopus pancake balls! This whole episode was inspired by a chat to my amazing friend Michiru who I miss a lot! She was eating takoyaki while we were video chatting on Line and I just knew I had to make them! Thanks Michi!!! xox
Octopus background history, myths, characteristics, origins, ancient history,
art, late minoan marine style flask, tammy garcia, Hokusai, Esther Van Hulsen, Keng Lye
Intelligence of the octopus, Octopolis, Octlantis, escape artists, anatomy, physiology, sex lives and child rearing
Jean Painleve octopus short films
Takoyaki and Michiru!!!
I used the Japan Centre recipe for Takoyaki:
pinch of dashi stock
100g fresh boiled octopus, chopped
1 bunch spring onion, chopped
red pickled ginger
aosa powdered seaweed (or aonori)
katsuobushi bonito flakes
How To Prepare
Start by creating the batter. Grab a large bowl and mix together 2 eggs, 200g of flour, 450ml of water and a little dashi stock. Set this aside. If you have the ready-made okonomiyaki flour, follow the directions for making the batter and you’re good to go.
Place your takoyaki plate on the gas stove on medium heat and heat up a small amount of oil in each hole.
Cut up your octopus into small pieces. Place a piece of octopus in each of the semi-circular holes, and then fill up each hole to the top with the batter mix. You can even overflow the batter out of the hole to make it easier to flip them later.
Now you can add the chopped spring onion, red pickled ginger and tempura flakes to each hole. The amount you add is up to you, but only a small amount of each will give enough flavour.
Once the takoyaki are about half cooked, about 1-2 minutes, you will need to flip them over. The best way to do this is to use a small wooden skewer to poke the outside of the batter and flip it over within the hole. This takes a bit of practice to get done smoothly so keep trying if you are making a mess.
You can usually only flip each takoyaki about three quarters of the way round so allow it to cook a little more before flipping it again. By now, all your takoyaki should be round so keep rotating them in the holes to make sure that they cook evenly on all sides. This will take about 3-4 minutes until golden brown on the outside.
Place a few takoyaki on a plate and smother them with loads of takoyaki sauce and Japanese mayonnaise. Then sprinkle a bit of powdered seaweed and some bonito flakes on top and enjoy. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy hot.
- Oct 1, 2019 Ep30 - Fashion and Food with Em and Ems - Emilio de la Morena and Emmerline Smy Oct 1, 2019
- May 31, 2019 Ep29 - Lobster Tails, Lobster Rolls and Lobster Tales with Lobsterman Greg Weeks May 31, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 Ep28 - Mastic, Mastiha, Mummies and Massage with Aristea Zougri of Althea Massage Therapy and Yoga Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 7, 2019 Ep27 - Feed A Lady Marmalade - Voulez-vous écouter avec moi ce soir Mar 7, 2019
- Nov 29, 2018 Ep26 - Octopus, Polpo, Pulpo, Tako: Takoyaki - My Delicious Dilemma Nov 29, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Ep25 - Gooseberries and Gooseberry Gumbo at Jimmy's Festival on Jimmy's Farm Oct 15, 2018
- Jun 26, 2018 Ep24 - Fiori di Zucca with Orso Tosco, author of Aspettando I Naufraghi Jun 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Ep23 - A Rhubarb of a Pickle of a Jam May 23, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Ep22 - From Christmas to New Year's Eve - Champagne, Prosecco and Cava Dec 31, 2017
- Dec 30, 2017 Ep21 - Christmas Chocolates - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 30, 2017
- Dec 29, 2017 Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 24, 2017 Ep19 - Christmas Chutney - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 24, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 17, 2017 Ep17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 15, 2017 Ep16 - Mulled Wine - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 15, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Ep15 - Christmas Goose - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Ep14 - Cinnamon - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Ep13 - Cranberry Sauce - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 10, 2017 Ep12 - Brussel Sprouts - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 10, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Ep11 - Mincemeat - Twelve Foods of Christmas by Smy Goodness Podcast Dec 7, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Ep10 - Plates and Platters with Tim Parker of You'll Soon Know on NTS Nov 23, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Ep9 - Anyone Sycophancy a Fig? Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 19, 2017 Ep8 - Dumplings with Peiran Gong and Tongtong Ren of Chinese Laundry Room Sep 19, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Ep7 - Bunches of Grapes Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 Ep6 - Ice Cream w/Tara Esperanza of T.O.I.C. - Tara's Organic Ice Cream Aug 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Ep5 - Pancakes & Creativity w/Aimee Furnival of Another Studio May 2, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Ep4 - Canapés w/Diana Pinkett of Vegan Peasant Catering Apr 18, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017