Ep 17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas
The tradition of oranges placed at the bottom toe-section of stockings stems back to stories of St Nicholas from the 4th century. St Nicholas encountered a man who had three daughters but was so poor that he was worried he would not be able to provide a dowry for them and that as a result they would remain unmarried. St Nicholas was a kind and generous man who wished to help the man without hurting his pride so one night whilst the man and his daughters slept, St Nicholas brought three bags of gold, one for each girl. Some stories say he slid down the chimney while others state he tossed the bags down the chimney and they landed in the girls freshly laundered stockings. In the morning they woke to find the gold which would enable them to marry. So began the tradition of stockings left to be filled by St Nicholas and oranges were used to represent the gold.
Oranges were extremely rare in Britain up until the 19th century and would have been reserved for the wealthy and beyond that they would still be considered a seasonal, exotic fruit.
All oranges branch off the genus of Citrus into either bitter oranges (C. aurantium) or sweet oranges (C. sinensis).
Both originate in Southeast Asia with bitter oranges being cultivated in the Indus Valley up to 6,000 years ago and introduced to the west from the Arabs around 1,000 AD and in the UK around the 15th century.
It’s easy to confuse one from the next but in actuality clementines, satsumas and manderins are all types of tangerines.
Tangerines originated in China and are sweet segmented citrus fruits whose skin seems ever so big for it. The name tangerines came about to differentiate those from Tangiers to the Chinese ones which became manderins.
Clementines are often smaller than the other varieties and originate from Algeria where they were found in a priests garden (Father Pierre Clementine) the unintentional cross of a mandarin and orange. Clementines for example contain less seeds and are sweeter than satsumas.
Satsumas are from Japan and have a very thin skin, are often seedless and slightly larger than clementines. In the UK satsumas were the traditional favourite of the small easy peelers. Yet today the numbers of satsuma orchards are going down across the world in favour of clementines.
60% of the worlds satsumas are imported to the UK.
Oranges are an excellent source of Vitamin C they are also good sources of folate, thiamine and potassium and bioflavonoids.
The pith contains a lot of the oranges fiber and natural antioxidants.
The membranes that separate and encase each segment of orange along with the pith contain lots of pectin which helps achieve setting point when making jams and marmalades.
- May 31, 2019 Ep29 - Lobster Tails, Lobster Rolls and Lobster Tales with Lobsterman Greg Weeks May 31, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 Ep28 - Mastic, Mastiha, Mummies and Massage with Aristea Zougri of Althea Massage Therapy and Yoga Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 7, 2019 Ep27 - Feed A Lady Marmalade - Voulez-vous écouter avec moi ce soir Mar 7, 2019
- Nov 29, 2018 Ep26 - Octopus, Polpo, Pulpo, Tako: Takoyaki - My Delicious Dilemma Nov 29, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Ep25 - Gooseberries and Gooseberry Gumbo at Jimmy's Festival on Jimmy's Farm Oct 15, 2018
- Jun 26, 2018 Ep24 - Fiori di Zucca with Orso Tosco, author of Aspettando I Naufraghi Jun 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Ep23 - A Rhubarb of a Pickle of a Jam May 23, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Ep22 - From Christmas to New Year's Eve - Champagne, Prosecco and Cava Dec 31, 2017
- Dec 30, 2017 Ep21 - Christmas Chocolates - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 30, 2017
- Dec 29, 2017 Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 24, 2017 Ep19 - Christmas Chutney - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 24, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 17, 2017 Ep17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 15, 2017 Ep16 - Mulled Wine - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 15, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Ep15 - Christmas Goose - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Ep14 - Cinnamon - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Ep13 - Cranberry Sauce - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 10, 2017 Ep12 - Brussel Sprouts - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 10, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Ep11 - Mincemeat - Twelve Foods of Christmas by Smy Goodness Podcast Dec 7, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Ep10 - Plates and Platters with Tim Parker of You'll Soon Know on NTS Nov 23, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Ep9 - Anyone Sycophancy a Fig? Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 19, 2017 Ep8 - Dumplings with Peiran Gong and Tongtong Ren of Chinese Laundry Room Sep 19, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Ep7 - Bunches of Grapes Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 Ep6 - Ice Cream w/Tara Esperanza of T.O.I.C. - Tara's Organic Ice Cream Aug 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Ep5 - Pancakes & Creativity w/Aimee Furnival of Another Studio May 2, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Ep4 - Canapés w/Diana Pinkett of Vegan Peasant Catering Apr 18, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017