Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas
It's the day after Boxing Day in a very windy Suffolk...the type of day that you need something to warm you to the bone. It's also the mid point between Christmas and New Year…we might benefit from a break from the excesses that have been and may be yet to come. We also can't go cold-turkey from the excesses of non-stop food and drink so a gin and tonic or a bit of sloe gin is a welcome comfort.
I never manage to get the timing right to pick sloes from the hedgerows where they can be foraged. The Sloe, or wild Plum, is the fruit of the Blackthorn found in the hedgerows. By autumn these small fruits are oval, blue-black and their sourness makes them perfect to cover with sugar and gin which by Christmas will have formed into a perfectly luxurious holiday tipple, sloe gin.
The Sloe, or wild Plum, is the fruit of the Blackthorn found in the hedgerows. By autumn these small fruits are oval, blue-black and their sourness makes them perfect to cover with sugar and gin which by Christmas will have formed into a perfectly luxurious holiday tipple, sloe gin.
Gin was invented in Holland around 1650 and it made it’s way to England not long after. Distilled from grain, it gets its name from the crushed juniper berries it passes through which are called genever in Dutch.
Juniper berries have long been used medicinally with their cordials being renowned for their astringent, restorative and sustaining properties.
They were even thrown on the floors of medieval homes so that when guests walked upon them the cracked juniper berries would emit their fragrant spice...a sort of applied pot pouri.
Less than a hundred years from when it was invented, England found itself in the midst of an all-out gin craze.
Gin was the first spirit produced in the industrial age and gin was incredibly inexpensive due to the fact that the government did not tax grain OR distillation.
Sloe gin was known as the poor mans port' and adding sloes helped to cover the many unfortunate ingredients being added to it to make it even cheaper.
The Gin acts changed legislation to try to curb the ‘gin craze.’
Charles Dickens loved gin and punches and there are many legends connecting his literary works and social habits and excursions.
A few years back I decided to bundle all my interests together and rebrand from Smy Chutney to Smy Goodness so that all my preserves, crafts, products and workshops could live together in one place. My own podcast seemed a suitable place to uncover, understand and enjoy things related to food, art, history and design. Please do share your stories, knowledge, questions and suggestions. In the Smy Goodness.com podcast section you will find the podcasts and all the items that we are discussing and will have ongoing discussions about each week.
You can also follow Smy Goodness on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. I'd like to thank Ashley Palmer for use of his Roland R-09 and Matteo Borea for creating the music. Thank you for listening.
- Mar 7, 2019 Ep27 - Feed A Lady Marmalade - Voulez-vous écouter avec moi ce soir Mar 7, 2019
- Nov 29, 2018 Ep26 - Octopus, Polpo, Pulpo, Tako: Takoyaki - My Delicious Dilemma Nov 29, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Ep25 - Gooseberries and Gooseberry Gumbo at Jimmy's Festival on Jimmy's Farm Oct 15, 2018
- Jun 26, 2018 Ep24 - Fiori di Zucca with Orso Tosco, author of Aspettando I Naufraghi Jun 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Ep23 - A Rhubarb of a Pickle of a Jam May 23, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Ep22 - From Christmas to New Year's Eve - Champagne, Prosecco and Cava Dec 31, 2017
- Dec 30, 2017 Ep21 - Christmas Chocolates - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 30, 2017
- Dec 29, 2017 Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 24, 2017 Ep19 - Christmas Chutney - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 24, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 17, 2017 Ep17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 15, 2017 Ep16 - Mulled Wine - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 15, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Ep15 - Christmas Goose - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Ep14 - Cinnamon - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Ep13 - Cranberry Sauce - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 10, 2017 Ep12 - Brussel Sprouts - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 10, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Ep11 - Mincemeat - Twelve Foods of Christmas by Smy Goodness Podcast Dec 7, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Ep10 - Plates and Platters with Tim Parker of You'll Soon Know on NTS Nov 23, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Ep9 - Anyone Sycophancy a Fig? Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 19, 2017 Ep8 - Dumplings with Peiran Gong and Tongtong Ren of Chinese Laundry Room Sep 19, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Ep7 - Bunches of Grapes Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 Ep6 - Ice Cream w/Tara Esperanza of T.O.I.C. - Tara's Organic Ice Cream Aug 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Ep5 - Pancakes & Creativity w/Aimee Furnival of Another Studio May 2, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Ep4 - Canapés w/Diana Pinkett of Vegan Peasant Catering Apr 18, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017