This podcast will look at:
food, history, art and design
how, why and where they intersect
and the impact that they have had and have on our culture and experiences.
Together we’ll travel the world throughout time and space to uncover tales, facts, people and objects that have shaped our everyday lives in ways we may not have realised.
Creativity and food have been long intertwined. I love to research and explore new and favourite ingredients and in turn find inspiration in them. Idiscovered that there was so much that I had assumed about fruits and vegetables that was not true. I love how the history of fruits and vegetables have their own provenance, stories and mysteries; how they adapted and travelled the world to become the ingredients that we know today. Just as with artefacts found in the historic record, it is the same with foods, from one story or item a wealth of information can unfold.
Food, art and history have had the human hand print of design stamped upon them. The correlation is that food, art and history imprint themselves upon us. We all have memories of a specific eating experience, locations we associate with certain foods that the mere mention of bring about the taste in our mouth. There are foods that come in and out of fashion from era to era as well as foods that come in and out of favour to ourselves within our own lives. We all have favourite items and interests with memories attached to them, cups, cutlery, tools, paintings, photographs and stories that we hold on to, a type of synasthesia if you will: a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality.
A few years back I decided to bundle all my interests together and rebrand from Smy Chutney to Smy Goodness so that all my preserves, crafts, products and workshops could live together in one place. My own podcast seemed a suitable place to uncover, understand and enjoy things related to food, art, history and design. Please do share your stories, knowledge, questions and suggestions. In the Smy Goodness.com podcast section you will find the podcasts and all the items that we are discussing and will have ongoing discussions about each week. You can also follow Smy Goodness on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. I'd like to thank Matteo Borea for creating the music and Ashley Palmer for assisting with recording gear and queries. Thank you for listening.
- Oct 1, 2019 Ep30 - Fashion and Food with Em and Ems - Emilio de la Morena and Emmerline Smy Oct 1, 2019
- May 31, 2019 Ep29 - Lobster Tails, Lobster Rolls and Lobster Tales with Lobsterman Greg Weeks May 31, 2019
- Mar 28, 2019 Ep28 - Mastic, Mastiha, Mummies and Massage with Aristea Zougri of Althea Massage Therapy and Yoga Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 7, 2019 Ep27 - Feed A Lady Marmalade - Voulez-vous écouter avec moi ce soir Mar 7, 2019
- Nov 29, 2018 Ep26 - Octopus, Polpo, Pulpo, Tako: Takoyaki - My Delicious Dilemma Nov 29, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Ep25 - Gooseberries and Gooseberry Gumbo at Jimmy's Festival on Jimmy's Farm Oct 15, 2018
- Jun 26, 2018 Ep24 - Fiori di Zucca with Orso Tosco, author of Aspettando I Naufraghi Jun 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Ep23 - A Rhubarb of a Pickle of a Jam May 23, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Ep22 - From Christmas to New Year's Eve - Champagne, Prosecco and Cava Dec 31, 2017
- Dec 30, 2017 Ep21 - Christmas Chocolates - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 30, 2017
- Dec 29, 2017 Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 24, 2017 Ep19 - Christmas Chutney - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 24, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 17, 2017 Ep17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 15, 2017 Ep16 - Mulled Wine - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 15, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Ep15 - Christmas Goose - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Ep14 - Cinnamon - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Ep13 - Cranberry Sauce - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 10, 2017 Ep12 - Brussel Sprouts - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 10, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Ep11 - Mincemeat - Twelve Foods of Christmas by Smy Goodness Podcast Dec 7, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Ep10 - Plates and Platters with Tim Parker of You'll Soon Know on NTS Nov 23, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Ep9 - Anyone Sycophancy a Fig? Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 19, 2017 Ep8 - Dumplings with Peiran Gong and Tongtong Ren of Chinese Laundry Room Sep 19, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Ep7 - Bunches of Grapes Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 Ep6 - Ice Cream w/Tara Esperanza of T.O.I.C. - Tara's Organic Ice Cream Aug 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Ep5 - Pancakes & Creativity w/Aimee Furnival of Another Studio May 2, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Ep4 - Canapés w/Diana Pinkett of Vegan Peasant Catering Apr 18, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017