Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas
The custom for cheese at Christmas is like so many other Christmas traditions is about seasonality and preservation techniques.
Many cheeses that we enjoy at Christmas have been made in the summer and are just coming in to peak maturity around the holidays.
For at least 200 years, if not 300 years, people in Yorkshire people have enjoyed a crumbly cheese along side fruitcake or their Christmas cake.
Continental cheese IS delicious but we have some amazing cheeses in the UK, over 700 varieties to try.
Something that is totally ingrained as truth in my head is that cheese before bedtime will give you strange dreams as happens to Ebenezer Scrooge who eats cheese before he is visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Yet-to-Come. But scientists believe that the protein tryptophan which is found in milk can help us to relax and sleep better. Along with dopamine found in the fat in cheese which is a chemical that increases feeling of well-being. It’s also the digestive properties that have made cheese a good dish to have at the close of a meal.
There are also so many leftovers living in the fridge that can easily pick up the scent of strong, potent cheeses which even wrapped up can still linger, pong and be borderline
A few years back I decided to bundle all my interests together and rebrand from Smy Chutney to Smy Goodness so that all my preserves, crafts, products and workshops could live together in one place. My own podcast seemed a suitable place to uncover, understand and enjoy things related to food, art, history and design. Please do share your stories, knowledge, questions and suggestions. In the Smy Goodness.com podcast section you will find the podcasts and all the items that we are discussing and will have ongoing discussions about each week.
You can also follow Smy Goodness on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Tumblr. I'd like to thank Ashley Palmer for use of his Roland R-09 and Matteo Borea for creating the music. Thank you for listening.
- Mar 28, 2019 Ep28 - Mastic, Mastiha, Mummies and Massage with Aristea Zougri of Althea Massage Therapy and Yoga Mar 28, 2019
- Mar 7, 2019 Ep27 - Feed A Lady Marmalade - Voulez-vous écouter avec moi ce soir Mar 7, 2019
- Nov 29, 2018 Ep26 - Octopus, Polpo, Pulpo, Tako: Takoyaki - My Delicious Dilemma Nov 29, 2018
- Oct 15, 2018 Ep25 - Gooseberries and Gooseberry Gumbo at Jimmy's Festival on Jimmy's Farm Oct 15, 2018
- Jun 26, 2018 Ep24 - Fiori di Zucca with Orso Tosco, author of Aspettando I Naufraghi Jun 26, 2018
- May 23, 2018 Ep23 - A Rhubarb of a Pickle of a Jam May 23, 2018
- Dec 31, 2017 Ep22 - From Christmas to New Year's Eve - Champagne, Prosecco and Cava Dec 31, 2017
- Dec 30, 2017 Ep21 - Christmas Chocolates - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 30, 2017
- Dec 29, 2017 Ep20 - Gin & Sloe Gin - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 29, 2017
- Dec 24, 2017 Ep19 - Christmas Chutney - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 24, 2017
- Dec 20, 2017 Ep18 - Cheese - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 20, 2017
- Dec 17, 2017 Ep17 - Oranges - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 17, 2017
- Dec 15, 2017 Ep16 - Mulled Wine - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 15, 2017
- Dec 14, 2017 Ep15 - Christmas Goose - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 14, 2017
- Dec 13, 2017 Ep14 - Cinnamon - 12 Foods of Christmas Dec 13, 2017
- Dec 12, 2017 Ep13 - Cranberry Sauce - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 12, 2017
- Dec 10, 2017 Ep12 - Brussel Sprouts - Twelve Foods of Christmas Dec 10, 2017
- Dec 7, 2017 Ep11 - Mincemeat - Twelve Foods of Christmas by Smy Goodness Podcast Dec 7, 2017
- Nov 23, 2017 Ep10 - Plates and Platters with Tim Parker of You'll Soon Know on NTS Nov 23, 2017
- Oct 26, 2017 Ep9 - Anyone Sycophancy a Fig? Oct 26, 2017
- Sep 19, 2017 Ep8 - Dumplings with Peiran Gong and Tongtong Ren of Chinese Laundry Room Sep 19, 2017
- Aug 22, 2017 Ep7 - Bunches of Grapes Aug 22, 2017
- Aug 3, 2017 Ep6 - Ice Cream w/Tara Esperanza of T.O.I.C. - Tara's Organic Ice Cream Aug 3, 2017
- May 2, 2017 Ep5 - Pancakes & Creativity w/Aimee Furnival of Another Studio May 2, 2017
- Apr 18, 2017 Ep4 - Canapés w/Diana Pinkett of Vegan Peasant Catering Apr 18, 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017