Everyone loves a soup during the winter months to get all ones nutrients and to keep warm. Gazpacho is a great way to enjoy soup in the summer and stay hydrated, refreshed and get much of ones five a day. Gazpacho is typically a Spanish dish with a recipe that will vary and depend on whom you ask and how their parents or grandparents made it. The following is a simple Gazpacho recipe that is simple and fun to make with children and suited to their taste buds.
1 kilo red ripe tomato chopped
1 green pepper deseeded and chopped
1 red pepper deseeded and chopped
1 large cucumber deseeded and chopped
1/2 a small white onion chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
250 ml tomato juice
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 chunk or two slices of stale (not moldy) bread
salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Cover and soak the bread with the tomato juice and leave while preparing the other ingredients.
- Combine the tomato, green and red pepper, cucumber, garlic and toss in the olive oil.
- Remove the bread from the tomato juice and squeeze the excess juice from the bread and add the bread to the prepared vegetables.
- Blend everything together in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth with no chunks.
- Now stir in the olive oil, cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for at least two hours and serve as is or with garnishes such as finely diced cucumber, herbs, ham, eggs, spring onions, peppers or anything you would like.