Feast your eyes on a range of canap
s that I made for a recent gathering. They were the prelude to an Italian-made porcini risotto starter, roast beef and caramelised onion main and lemon curd ice cream that I made for dessert. The canap
s were a hit and starting from the right of the photo and moving left they were:
- Brie topped with banana & date chutney
- Cream cheese topped with six-pepper jelly
- Goat's cheese topped with jamón Serrano and black cherry and black pepper conserve
- Rocket topped with pan-seared duck breast and plum gumbo
- Grilled mackerel topped with greengage chutney
- Stilton topped with black cherry and clack pepper conserve.
The top three favourites were the mackeral and greengage chutney, duck with plum gumbo and rocket and the classic banana & date with brie. The stilton was meant to be paired with a red onion marmalade but we ended up serving it as another accompaniment to the beef with the carmelised onions. I used Nairn's mini oatcakes for the
s but I prefer to make my own and add different seeds and spices to complement the
or they are nice to eat on their own as an alternative to crisps.
Close up of (from bottom to top) duck, rocket & plum gumbo; jam
n, goat's cheese and black cherry; cream cheese and six-pepper jelly.
Close up of (from bottom to top) stilton and clack cherry and black pepper compote; mackerel and greengage chutney.