Participants use tiles, paints, beads, sequins, feathers, fabric, found objects to create one-of-a-kind mirrors of their own design and making. Students report that they find the courses a creative outlet that is also relaxing and are proud of their individual creations that they wear themselves or give as gifts to family and friends. There is also scope for the students to sell their creations on-line and/or in markets to raise money for themselves and/or charity.
Potential Learning Outcomes:
- Use common units of measure, convert between related units of the metric system and carry out calculations. (Numeracy)
- Explore numbers, understand quantities and use them to count, create sequences and describe order. (Numeracy)
- Develop listening, watching and understanding skills from tutor and resources. (Literacy)
- Use search facilities of electronic sources to access and retrieve information. (ICT)
- Take photographs or recording sound and images to represent my experiences and the world around me. (ICT)
- Explore and use technologies to communicate with others, i.e.- social media/blogs/on-line shop. (ICT)
- Discover and the different uses of mirrors.
- Identify the different ways mirrors are used in arts and crafts.
- Define, discuss and use different decorations and techniques to customise mirrors.
- Gain an understanding of how to present and display customised mirrors.
- 1/2 day course with participants creating one mirror
- 1 day course with participants creating one - two mirrors
- 2 hour course over four weeks with participants creating one - two mirrors
- 2 hour course over six weeks with participants creating two - three mirrors
- Please note that the above courses give a rough idea of course length but can be tailored to suit any length of time, class size and/or budget.