Jam & Chutney Making Workshops
Create your own handmade preserves including jams, chutneys, jellies and curds. Workshops provide a creative outlet teaching valuable skills in food, cookery and healthy eating. Jars of preserves are eaten with pride or given as gifts to family and friends. Past preserves making courses have involved groups creating a preserves recipe to represent their group club, team, etc. There is also scope for the students to sell their creations on-line and/or in markets to raise money for themselves and/or charity.
Potential Learning Outcomes:
- Use common units of measure, convert between related units of the metric system and carry out calculations. (Numeracy)
- Explore numbers, understand quantities and use them to count, create sequences and describe order. (Numeracy)
- Develop listening, watching and understanding skills from tutor and resources. (Literacy)
- Use search facilities of electronic sources to access and retrieve information. (ICT)
- Take photographs or recording sound and images to represent my experiences and the world around me. (ICT)
- Explore and use technologies to communicate with others, i.e.- social media/blogs/on-line shop. (ICT)
- Discover how fruits and vegetables are nutritionally important. (Healthy Eating)
- Identify the different ways that preserves are made and used. (Healthy Eating)
- Develop ideas and designs for preserves recipes. (Healthy Eating)
- Define, discuss and use different decorations and techniques to customise preserve jars.
- Minimum length of 2 hours to create one preserve.
- 1/2 day course with participants creating at least one preserve and/or additional item made from preserve.
- 1 day course with participants creating at least one preserve with customised label.
- Please note that the above courses give a rough idea of course length but can be tailored to suit any length of time, class size and/or budget.